The Mukumbya Musoke Art Prize (the MMA Prize) is a bi-annual award aimed at awarding and promoting talented visual artists in Uganda seeking to promote their profile on the contemporary scene. The MMA Prize is open to artists between the ages of 20 and 45 who are resident in Uganda. The finalists and winner are selected by an independent jury from works that are skillfully executed, have great potential and a relevant message.
The winner will receive a monetary prize of UGX 5,000,000 and have access to pro bono expert legal advice to support the artist’s business. All shortlisted artists will be promoted to our audiences.
Entries for the MMA Prize 2022 will close at 23:59 hours on 2nd October 2022. The shortlisted works will be selected and the winner announced in December 2022.
The jury for the MMA Prize 2022 comprises of Paul Ndema, Margaret Nagawa and Stephen Tio Kauma.
Paul Ndema is one of Uganda’s most eminent contemporary artists. He holds a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts from the Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Arts, Makerere University, Uganda. He has featured at 1-54 Contemporary African Art Fair (2019, 2016), FNB Joburg Art Fair (2016); Circle Modern and Contemporary Art Auction in Nairobi (2015, 2014); Cape Town Art Fair (2015); Kampala Art Biennale (2014) and East African Encounters Exhibition, Circle Art Gallery (2014). His work is also housed in many international private collections.
Margaret Nagawa is a Ugandan artist, writer and curator. Margaret holds a first class Bachelors degree in Fine Arts from the Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Arts, Makerere University, Uganda and a Master of Arts degree in Curating from Goldsmiths, University of London, England. She has featured in and curated several exhibitions and is pursuing a PhD in Art History at Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
Stephen Tio Kauma FCIPD is a Ugandan art collector and promoter. Stephen holds a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Makerere University, Uganda and MBA (Finance) from Makerere University Business School, Uganda. He is a founding member of the Contemporary Art Society of Uganda and currently employed as the Director Human Resources at the African Export-Import Bank.
- Entry is open to artists between the ages of 20 and 45 resident in Uganda.
- All entries are by electronic submission by email to email@example.com attaching: a) a signed entry form; b) an electronic image of each eligible artwork; and c) the artist’s CV or a statement about their work.
- The electronic image must accurately portray the artwork and the Artist agrees that all artwork submitted must be available for sale.
- The artist can submit up to a maximum of 4 artworks of any medium, which artworks can be paintings, drawings, original prints, photography, sculptures or video.
- The artwork must be a product of the artist, who must own the artwork and all moral and intellectual property rights in respect of the artwork. It is the sole responsibility of the artist to ensure that the artwork does not infringe any third party’s proprietary rights.
- An artist whose artwork is shortlisted among the finalists may be invited to submit the original artwork to the participating gallery for inspection or otherwise indicate a location at which the artwork may be available for inspection by the organizers. This requirement may be waived for the MMA Prize 2022.
- All artwork submitted must be owned by the artist and available for sale by the artist and not under consignment to a party other than the artist.
- None of organizers or sponsors of the Prize will at any time be liable for any loss or damage to any artworks physically submitted and the artist is advised to take out insurance to cover the artwork at all times including while at the gallery.
- The artist agrees that Mukumbya Musoke Advocates and the participating gallery may at any time reproduce their work at no fee for purposes of publicizing the artist or artwork or for purposes of promotion of the current or future Prize events.
- The organizers reserve the right to cancel or change dates for events scheduled.
- 11. For any queries, please contact the organizers by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org